"As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord." Joshua 24:15

Friday, June 18, 2010

Show Us Your Life: Proposal Stories

I'm a huge fan of the blog Kelley's Korner, and every Friday she has a segment called "Show Us Your Life" where she gives readers the opportunity to share about themselves and link their blog to hers. This is the first time I'm "linking." I couldn't pass up sharing our engagement story.

In April of 2005, I was student-teaching in Columbus, and my boyfriend, Hutson, was working in Greenville. (Obviously a long-distant relationship...boo!!) I treasured every weekend that we could spend together. We had talked about getting married and even looked at rings, so I was convinced that he was going to propose any day. After several weeks of not dropping to one knee, I had kind of given up hope and become frustrated. On April 30, Hutson had made plans to come home and see me; however, at the last minute, he called and said that a buddy of his wanted him to come fishing in Oxford. I was livid!! My friends called me and asked me to go to the movies and out to eat. We went to see A Lot Like Love and then to eat at The Veranda. I had complained to them the whole night about how upset I was that Hutson would choose fishing over being with me. They completely agreed and convinced me that this girls' night was what I needed. As we walked into The Veranda I got a little sentimental and said, "This is where Hut and I had our first date," and as I turned the corner he was sitting in a booth with flowers. He was in a suit and tie (which is totally not him!). I was still oblivious to what was going on and turned to my friends and said, "Look! Hutson's here." They nodded their heads and walked to the back of the restaurant. (I love that they were in on it the whole time!!) He then walked up to me and proposed! Sweetest proposal ever...despite the fact that I wanted to punch him in the face an hour before. The funniest thing about the proposal was that Hutson couldn't decide if he wanted to get down on one knee, so the entire time he's asking me to marry him he is doing awkward lunges up and down trying to make up his mind. He is the best!! Love him!!
Hutson and I at our rehearsal dinner

Four years later and a beautiful baby girl!!

So, how did your "honey" propose??

2 comments:

LT (and Max) said...

such a sweet story!

and as far as "how did my honey propose"???...

well...i'll have to (hopefully) get back to you on that one. i'm hoping that'll be sooner than later! :/

Shoshanah said...

Just stopping by from Kelly's Korner and wanted to say hi. How sweet that your husband surprised you all dressed up for the proposal. And I love how all your friends were in on it